online dating username list

Best dating site nj

Please do not reproduce or use on another website without permission. Landing NJ History  or  Port Morris NJ History. Hercules Powder Company, a third on best dating site nj east side of the present Black River pond and others farther south along the Black River.

1664 — -New Jersey becomes an English colony. Groups of Puritans settle Newark in 1666 and move inland. 1700’s — In the early 1700’s, under pressure, Native Americans began to sell off their land and leave the area, some moving as a group to Ontario. In 1708 they sold a large piece of land that included Roxbury Township. The deed for this transaction was written on an 18″ x 28″ piece of parchment and is still quite legible. It is stored at the New Jersey Historical Society Museum in Newark. 1710’s — Around this date the first group of white settlers established homes in the area that became Roxbury.

Some date their arrival here as early as 1702, others as late as 1736. Their theology was similar to the Seventh Day Baptists and their practices much like the old Quakers. 1715 — Around this time the Roxbury area was first surveyed by John Reading, who also had a keen eye for the business possibilities of the area. Iron Ore lay close to the surface in various area of the Township, and before long an Iron Ore Mine and small forge was in operation. 1730’s —The valley of Suckasunny Plains grows in population as settlers come north following the Black River.

They were originally from Connecticut, had come by boat to New Brunswick, and then over the lowlands to the fertile fields of Suckasunny. 1740 — On December 24, 1740 Roxbury was incorporated as the fourth township in Morris County. Within its boundaries at that time were the areas that later would become Chester Borough, Chester Township, Mt. Olive Township, Netcong Borough and Washington Township, in addition to parts of Hopatcong Borough and Stanhope. 1745 — Presbyterians first started meeting in homes in Succasunna about this time.

In 1756 the Succasunna Presbyterian Church was organized by the New York Presbytery, with the first building constructed on the current site around 1760. 1750’s — Lake Hopatcong was called Great Pond. Around 1750 an iron forge is built by New York City businessman Garret Rapalje near the southern end of the Lake at the point where it flows into the Musconetcong River. Called the Brookland Forge, it was located on what is now the Hopatcong State Park and it operated for over 30 years. A dam built for the forge raised the Lake level by 6 feet, submerging areas of shoreline and cutting off Halsey Island and Raccoon Island from the mainland. British settlers in New Jersey and had massacred members of almost a dozen families who had settled in Sussex County, causing alarm in Roxbury. 1776 thru 1783 — Roxbury Township and the surrounding area become an important hub for producing Iron Ore and cannonballs to supply General George Washington and the Continental Army.

During the Revolutionary War, the Succasunna Presbyterian Church served as barracks and a hospital for the Continentals. A tradition relates how George Washington visited his wounded soldiers there. 1799 — The newly incorporated Chester Township takes 30 square miles and separates from Roxbury Township. 1804 — The Essex — Morris — Sussex Turnpike is completed, running through Roxbury Township, a reliable Wagon Toll Road that sped up the movement of people and goods from the cities of the northeast to the wilds of northwest New Jersey.

1809 — The first school in Roxbury of which we have firm evidence came into being. The ‘Roxbury Academy’ was a private boarding school on Main Street, Succasunny, that not only accommodated local students, but also lodged young scholars from neighboring towns and states due to it’s excellent reputation and location away from the «corrupting» influence and vices of larger towns. 1822 — -While fishing at Lake Hopatcong, George P. The canal was chartered in 1824 and would be an inexpensive way of moving large quantities of coal, timber, iron ore and other goods across New Jersey. It was designed by Professor James Renwick of Columbia College, the first American canal to climb hills.

General Goods store was built by Woodruff and Crane, it still stands today on Main Street as the King Store. 1827 — The canal company, having acquired the property, builds a new dam on the Lake to use the large body of water as a canal reservoir. A lock is built that raised boats to the level of the Lake. A bypass valve controlled the water flowing into a feeder canal that connected the Lake to the main canal. Lake Hopatcong was the Morris Canal’s largest reservoir. The Lake was entered through a feeder of the Morris Canal.

1830’s — A small community known as Brookland develops around the canal lock in what is now Hopatcong State Park. Another dam raises the Lake water level 6 more feet and the Lake becomes known as Lake Hopatcong and over time the name Brookland changed to Brooklyn after NYC’s Brooklyn. 1834 — A one-room log schoolhouse was constructed in Lower Berkshire Valley, it was replaced in 1871 by a frame building in the same location. Also in 1834, Charles Shipman, a partner in the Morris Canal Company, builds a sawmill near the top of Canal Inclined Plane Number 1 East, in the area now known as Shippenport. The Mill was powered by the ‘bypass’ water from the Plane.

1844 — At Shippenport a small Iron Forge was built by John Slade, to run by the ‘bypass’ water of the Morris Canal in summer after it powered the sawmill, and by a small natural stream at other seasons. This forge was enlarged by Anson G. Segur in the 1870’s, and was still in working order when Munsell wrote of it in 1882. Campbell organized a Methodist class meeting in Succasunna. On July 3, 1850, the members of the church met and elected a Board of Trustees and authorized the building of a church. Construction of the existing sanctuary and bell tower was begun in 1850 and was dedicated on February 1852. William Day was appointed the first pastor.

Railroad are laid through the area in 1854. Lake Hopatcong were carried by horse drawn carts over the bumpy roads up to the lake. 1853 — The present Presbyterian Church building in Succasunna was constructed to replace the old. The first service held was the funeral for Mahlon Dickerson, former New Jersey Judge, US General, New Jersey Governor, US Congressman, and Secretary of the Navy. He is buried in the Church cemetery.