online dating new york

Timeout dating website

Canvey Island is a civil parish and reclaimed island in the Thames estuary in Essex, England. It has an area of 7. The island was mainly agricultural land until the 20th century when it became the fastest timeout dating website seaside resort in Britain between 1911 and 1951.

The North Sea flood of 1953 devastated the island, killing 58 islanders and leading to the temporary evacuation of the 13,000 residents. Canvey Island is also notable for its relationship to the petrochemical industry. The island was the site of the first delivery in the world of liquefied natural gas by container ship, and later became the subject of an influential assessment on the risks to a population living within the vicinity of petrochemical shipping and storage facilities. Fragments of early marked pottery uncovered from Canvey Point. Excavations on Canvey have unearthed a collection of early man-made objects comprising axes from the Neolithic era, a bracelet dating from the Bronze Age, and Iron Age pottery. The settlement and agricultural development of Essex by the Saxons from the 5th century saw the introduction of sheep-farming which would dominate the island’s industry until the 20th century.

Yearsley states that the name of the island is derived from the Anglo-Saxon Caningaege, meaning The Island of Cana’s People. The Canvey group of islands in the 16th century as shown in the map of south east Essex by the topographer John Norden in 1594. Shown on John Norden’s 1594 map with the second word «insula» with the traditional middle «s», facing the ‘Isle’ of Grain rather than a Latinised «Sheppey insula» to the southeast, is a close eastern division which is perhaps the part which later almost wholly merged into the present island, with a ditch being the current boundary, having the same far eastern points as the Canvey Point and Leighbeck Point marshes. The third eastern island or mudflat could well be the Counus i. Island where the Trinovantes, Cantiaci and the Catuvellauni counselled with the Iceni, shortly before staging Boudicca’s rebellion against the Romans.

Cana’s People were descendants of both Cantiaci and the Catuvellauni. One of two octagonal Dutch cottages from the 17th century which are preserved on the island. The above cottage now functions as a museum. A timber channel, and chalk and ragstone remains of the sea wall built c.

Canvey’s other landowners instigated a project to reclaim the land and wall the island from the Thames. A broad drainage ditch was dug inland off the area facing the river while smaller inlets were filled in. The coast of Canvey Island was host to the Chapman Lighthouse as briefly described in Joseph Conrad’s novel Heart of Darkness. The Preventive Men had their own special row of cottages close to the seafront near the old Lobster Smack Inn.

Aaron Jones on 6 January 1857. The fight lasted for three hours and 65 rounds, and was finally declared a draw when it became too dark to see. Sayers won at the rematch a month later in London. Sometimes the bouts were between local families, the best known being that between champion Ben Caunt and Nat Langham. The fight arose from a family feud and Caunt took Langham to 60 rounds in September 1853. Langham was knocked down 59 times during the bout and due, it is said, to his sportsmanship Caunt agreed to settle their differences with a handshake.

During the Victorian era Canvey became a very fashionable place to visit, and its air was promoted as having healing properties. This started in 1899, after the Black Monday floods, when an entrepreneur called Frederick Hester bought Leigh Beck Farm, and started what was to be called Southview Park estate. A new sea front was developed in the 1930s, with Canvey Casino — an amusement arcade and park opening as the first building on what would become Eastern Esplanade. Since then further amusements, a cinema, the pioneering Labworth Cafe, the Monico pub and nightclubs such as the Goldmine were built. Along with the Coalhouse Fort at nearby East Tilbury, Thorney Bay on the southern coast of the island was the site of a degaussing station built to monitor the effectiveness of the equipment on board the allied ships passing along the Thames. On 1 February 1953, the infamous North Sea Flood hit the island during the night and caused the deaths of 58 people. Many of the victims were in the holiday bungalows of the eastern Newlands estate and perished as the water reached ceiling level.